Recently London unveiled the emblem of London Olympic 2012. It consists of a huge, bold, magenta colour “2012″, with “London” text sits at the bottom of the upper “2″, and Olympic logo at the “0″. It accompanied with white stroke and white shadow, with a vibrant cyan as background. When I look at it, I think the logo is quite impressive because it’s brave, original and very global feel, to suit the motto “Everyone’s Games, Everyone’s 2012″. However, it does not represents London, if this logo is without the “London” text, people might not know the logo is from which country.
When I search through the net, I came across this article in CreativeReview blog and read it. Here I quote the pros and cons that posted in there:
- It’s original and brave.
- It contains none of the following: Big Ben, bulldogs, crowns and assorted other royal paraphernalia, the Union Jack, cross of St George, Pearly Kings and Queens, abstract figures doing vaguely athletic things.
- It will work across a range of media, which will be vital in 2012 when coverage of the Games will break over a range of formats – eg mobile phones, PCs.
- Children will probably like it and, like Whitney, we believe that they are the future…
- Anything that annoys the Evening Standard this much can’t be all bad
- You can’t read it very easily.
- It already seems outdated – New Rave may be very On Trend with the fashion world this season but this still has five years of life to live out.
- It’s inelegant and brash (unlike the restrained beauty of, say, Aicher’s work for Munich in 1972) – and what does that say about London?
- It looks a bit like something Neil Buchanan might have put together on Art Attack. And, as a result, graphic design will receive another pasting in the popular press. “How much? My kid could have done better…”
- If you stare at it long enough, some dirty-minded bloggers have been saying, it kind of looks like Lisa Simpson giving someone a blow job.
When I read the last sentence, I look back to see the logo again, it is TRUE! Oh man….. I’m not hate this logo thou, I like it because it is original and brave, like no other, but not this intercourse thingy….
Check out the logo animation here.